Bordeaux was a success - it was a good time and we learned a few lessons. Like 1) never trust the ratings and reviews we hostelworld.com. When we got there we took a taxi to our hostel, Which was not even close to the center of Bordeaux. I found this surprising Because the reviews on hostelwold.com said this particular hostel was located in the center of the city and had an excellent location rating, while it was actually about 30-40minutes outside of Bordeaux. But at $ 25 a night who was going to complain? And all in all it really was not a bad hostel. The people were nice enough and the rooms were small but fine. The shower was - dare I say it? - A luxury. Why? Because I did not have to hold it the entire time I was showering. For those of you back in the states, this is my shower:
There's nowhere to hang it on the wall and it has two types of water: boiling lava hot or ice cold (much like hot pockets, for anyone who listens to Jim Gaffigan's stand up). Does anyone comprehend how hard this is to manuva with my head of hair? It's near impossible and showering is always my least favorite part of day.
Anyway, the cab driver was really funny. He thought we were from England, and when he found out we were Americans he was surprised to learn we understood what he was saying in French. He kept talking about how his wife is a five star general and hes not allowed to do anything hahahahaha it was pretty funny.
On Saturday, after celebrating that we survived the night, we spent the day in Bordeaux and it was gorgeous out! In the morning it was raining, so I bought an umbrella. Immediately it stopped raining and Became sunny, but was still cold. So I bought gloves, and then It became warm. I was going to buy sunglasses but I was enjoying the sun too much for it to go away. It was the first actual sunny day since I've been in France.
I finally got some shopping done too! Everything was cheap and then it was on sale too, so it was exciting. I may have gone a little overboard though and will not be doing any additional shopping anytime soon. We also saw a bunch of different churches and monuments. I swear we walked at least 15 miles at one point we were not even in Bordeaux anymore (hence the title of my blog). Operation "buns of steel" is off to an excellent start.
This was my first time taking the TGV (which is a really fast train) and it was pretty cool. On the way there I sat next to a guy who smelled like baby powder and slept the whole time. On the way back I was sitting across from a really cute old lady who kept wanting to talk to me. Across the isle was a really grumpy looking guy who kept complaining that he Had nowhere to put his stuff and was being so rude to the lady across from him. She kept trying to be nice but he started pulling down her stuff from the storage above and putting his backpack up there. She did not even say anything! It was at this point that I wish my "dirty" French was better so I could have told him to go fuck himself and to stop being an asshole. Luckily, nonverbal communication is shared throughout many countries and I was able to convey my feelings without words.
So I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I'm completely perplexed as to how the French train their dogs. At first I thought it was Parisian thing, but it's apparently an all over France thing. They never walk their dogs on leashes yet they're so well behaved. They stop at streets, wait for their owners, and stop when you tell them to. It's amazing, and over the weekend I noticed something else the French seem to have extraordinarily well trained - their men. Ladies I kid you not - these men drool over these women and I've never been more confused in my life. On more than one occasion I've seen a great looking guy with an ok-looking girl and he's carrying her purse, holding her hand, and kissing her at the same time. These guys follow their girlfriends around like lost dogs, except they make themselves useful by carrying purses and shopping bags. I WILL find out the secret to both of these successes before I leave (do not worry, I'll share my valuable information).
On another note, this week is International Week at school and today was American Day. Want to know how they celebrated it? By serving shrimp burritos and having a mechanical bull to ride. No wonder the French do not like Americans, who eats shrimp burritos?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hahaha mmm shrimp burritos. how is that even American??
ReplyDeleteSounds like an amazing trip, I can't wait to look at pictures and see all of your new things!! How exciting is it to own items that you bought in France? I wouldn't know. haha I love you, keep having fun and keep being safe!!