Monday, March 1, 2010

The Wheels on the Bus go Round and Round.

I figured that was an appropriate title given the fact that I spent close to 15 of the last 48 hours on a bus. This weekend was the ISA trip to Normandy and Mont St Michel. It was absolutely amazing, I don't even know how I would start to describe it.

The first place we went to was a memorial museum and they definitely didn't give us enough time there. We were only there for 2 hours and that included two movies, our lunch time, and time to see the museum. I didn't get all the way through the museum and I'm still pissed about that. After the museum we went to the American Cemetary at Normandy. It's US soil so normally you have to have a passport to go into it but I guess since we were a group (perhaps pre-approved?) we didn't need ours. This is probably the quietest place I've ever been. They have a sign that says "Silence and Respect" when you first walk in, but it was weird to see that people are actually following those rules. Seeing all those crosses were really depressing but also eye opening, breath taking, and humbling. I'm glad I got to see a part of history first hand. The cemetary was gorgeous - it had ponds and flowers and everything was green. I think that was my favorite part of this trip. After that we took to trecherous walk down to the beach. I took some really good pictures but my internet connection isn't working so well so I'll have to do a separate post of them later.  We got really lucky with the weather that day too, it was sunny and probably 45 degrees.

After the beach we had a "surprise". We went to an apple farm. I don't know if that's what its called but that's what it will be according to my blog hahaha. It ended up being fun, but the directors should have known better than to take us for a "surprise" after the long day we had. They made us eat at 11am but we weren't getting back to the hotel until 8pm so by the time we got to the apple farm I was tired, starving, and really crabby. They made us go through a tour where we learned how apple cider is made (alcoholic and non) and it smelled awful. It smelled like a bar on a Saturday morning and it was really making me nauseas. But, after the tour it got a lot better. We got to try different types of cider which were AMAZING and different types of jelly/jams that they made and sold there. The jelly was probably my favorite part, this stuff was so delicious. They have everything from apple cinnamon to apple pear, to apple orange...etc. And they had some apple bread that they started passing around that was also delcious. Given that it was about 7pm when this was happening that bread was gone in like 2 seconds. Everyone was vulturing it up on the counter while Taylor and I are trying to scream for people to grab the fucking plate and bring it to the back of the room and it took 5 minutes before anyone realized that our way was easier. We were all so hungry that I'm honestly surprised there was no blood shed. Had that plate not gotten to me when it did, I may have hurt someone. hahahahaha

We finally got to our hotel around 8pm and I was so tired then I just wanted to grab food and go to sleep so that's what I did, with the exception of making time for an hour long shower. The hotel we stayed in had a water fall shower faucet and I basked in the glory of not having to hold it and also making it as hot as it could possibly go.

The next morning we weren't so lucky with the weather. It was pouring and the winds felt like they were 50 mph. When we got off the bus to go to Mont Saint-Michel it was raining so hard and so windy I couldnt even see where I was running I was just following peoples voices. I just found out today that at least 55 people were killed from the storms that hit the coast. With how fast the winds were I can't say that I'm surprised but I can't believe it ended up being such a violent storm (the worst happened after we were on our way home).

Mont St Michel was fun and interesting but we ditched the tour guide about 5 minutes into it. All he was doing was making lame jokes that MIGHT have been funny (but probably not) had we all not been soaking wet and freezing to death. He was also moving at a glacial pace. So while I miss not hearing all of the history of all of the rooms in St Michel, I still had a good time. And at one point we ended up in the same room as another tour group and we listened to their guide for a little while but he was speaking in French and history tends to get a little confusing in another language. However he did make a joke about Japanese people and how they take so many pictures and it was pretty funny.

It finally started to get sunny when we were leaving so that was depressing. The wind still didnt let up though and it was a pain in the ass to get back to the bus. Not to mention that everyones feet were soaking wet by the time we were done, so everyone was trying to find their bags on the bottom of the bus to get a change of socks.

The bus ride home was supposed to be four and half hours and ended up turning into more like six hours. We made it fun though. I don't know how it started but we were all singing and the top of the bus was singing awful songs into the microphone on the top deck so a kid from the bottom deck took the microphone and started rapping. hahahahahah you definitely had to be there but it was really funny and not as horrible of a ride as I would have thought. We were forced to take a half hour break so they bus driver could rest and so we could all pee (because for some reason they locked the bus bathroom??? worst idea ever). A half hour turned into forty five minutes and we were all just standing around the gas station pissed off. I understand that the bus driver wanted to take a break but it would have been better if they let us go back into the bus. We were all standing there squished between random people and not being able to move. Then it's still pouring rain and the bus driver wouldnt open all the doors, just one. So once again we're all standing there getting soaking wet. I hope he really enjoyed our singing on the way home.

So that sums up the weekend. Today was boring, I only had one class and I always dread going to it. But I did make another observation that I know everyone likes to hear so much. All of the French students carry 3 or more pens with them. It seems so weird to me. You can only write with one at a time, why do you have to have so many? They have blue, black, and red, and then usually a pencil. And they sit with them all out on their desk next to them as if they're going to need them at any given moment but always end up just writing with one. And another observation is that everyone doodles. I was sitting in class today wondering why everyone was furiously writing when the notes were online and thats when I realized everyone was drawing pictures. There were pictures of people, trees, flowers, what I think was a tattoo design, and a bunch of other random stuff. I guess since we can't eat, drink, or get up to go to the bathroom this is how people pass the time. Since I can't draw I just prefer to work on my brick breaking skills.

I forgot to mention that I was finally a part of a bus raid! Hahahaha there are security guards (I guess that's what you would call them) that get on random metros and buses to check your tickets and make sure you paid to be on it and if you don't have a ticket its an immediate fine (I dont know how much it is, I think 40 euros) and if you can't pay it immediately you have to go to the Police Station. They don't fuck around. Hahaha well anyway I was on my way home from school and I got on the bus and a few seconds later the guards came on and told everyone they were going to be checking tickets so the bus driver closed the exiting doors. I wish I had pictures of some of the peoples faces. They either looked terrified or extremely pissed off. This one lady started SCREAMING at the guards, it was an interesting thing to watch. I have a monthly pass so they just scanned it to see that I swiped it on my way in and everything was fine. The guy was really nice and told me that his daughter had red hair too. Always nice to know there's a fellow ginger around

On a more exciting note, I know what I'm doing for Spring Break! I'm going to London, Dublin, Edinburgh, and Glasow. We'll be in Ireland for St Patricks Day too which I'm stoked for. Those are the places I really wanted to go so I'm glad it's actually happening. I still have to get a carry-on suitcase to bring because the bag I brought for weekend trips can not possibly hold all of the things I'll need for a weeks time. Spring break is two weeks away, I can't wait!!!

It's already starting to get warmer and its making me get Spring fever. All I want to do is buy sandals and bright pink nail polish and summer dresses. I almost went shopping after class today but I stopped myself. It never ends well when I'm on a shopping mission because I end up spending way too much money on things I don't even need. I think I'm going to go Wednesday when I'm less excited and my heart rate has finally slowed down. Spring in Paris is going to be gorgeous.

This blog was way too long and I apologize. I'll post again probably Thursday after the Opera. We're going to see a ballet and I get to dress up!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh your spring break trip is going to be amazing!! And I can't believe that it's only two weeks away - that's so crazy! I love all of the pictures that you put up from this past weekend too, seems like you're seeing some amazing places :) hahaha oh and great job keeping it together on that bus raid.. I probably would have been the woman screaming hahaha

    I love youuuuu keep having fun and being safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha my blog updates are ALWAYS this long lol. shopping for suitcases together please? and mexican food again soon...a must.

    ReplyDelete